Monday, November 1, 2010

Letters!

 My daughter is 3 and I have been trying to teach her the alphabets.  Unsuccessfully I was teaching her the sound each letter makes.  But I was given a Letter Factory DVD and she picked it up so fast.  My mother is a teacher and stands by the Hooked on Phonics way of teaching children so this video was perfect.


Now I am trying to teach her to read three letter words.  Using the sounds she knows.  She is picking it up great, but I have these letters in a pile.  So I made an envelope for them and laminated it for durability.  I hope to use this for my son also.   I used double stick tape to close it up and Velcro for the opening.


Make sure all your letters fit in them with extra space when making the envelope.  It will be easier to remove the letters that way.  I also added a magnet so that I can put it on the fridge or file cabinet.


She loves it and can read Hat, Rat, Sat, Duck (I know I said, "Three letter words."), Sit, Cat, and Hot.  We call these our letter mouse because we hide a mouse behind the letters and play a game.

I am working on a "Word Worm" next.  Pictures help and after she reads the word we make she gets to find the picture to match.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

Love it! I want to make a pocket like that too! Your a genious!!! How did you do it?

Keone Smith said...

Hey Adi, Can you email me so I can reply back with the banner design. Thanks