Monday, December 27, 2010

Fruits of Labor

After all the hard work I finally get to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

After battling cold after cold since the beginning of December I finally am here.  My children and I have all gotten the cold twice.  My daughter is on her second round while my son and I are finishing our second round.  Thankfully, my husband has not gotten it.....yet?

So my first day of some energy, this is what I decided to do.
Remember my garden.  I planted this sweet potato.  It grew like crazy.

Here it is in the corner.  I planted purple sweet potato's next to it and look how it has grown.

 Another pic.  The purple ones are thriving but the green leaved ones are going crazy.

So picture this with ten times more lush.  So today was the last day to have my niece and nephews.  So I decided to pull out potato's and see what we find.  They had fun.

 This is the original potato I used.  I put it half in water with miracle grow until it started to grow roots.  Then I planted it in a pot after which I planted in the ground.

 After digging around, I could have filled four more buckets of dirt.  I am sure I have missed some and will go look for more tomorrow.

 On the process I found this huge worm.  Did I mention HUGE!  Totally grose.

 Found this many potato's.  Did not bother to count them.

 In the year I have successfully started an avocado plant.

 After three tries, finally have a thriving papaya plant.  I may finally take to my Tutu for New Year's.

 And transplanted two more tomato plants.

It has been a great year for gardening and look forward to next year.  I will start new eggplants and work on perfecting my tomato gardening skills.  I have killed one plant already.  Let's not talk about it.

2 comments:

Brittney said...

I am so jealous and so impressed at your gardening! Micah has been trying for years to grow an avacado plant, and a plant guy told him it will never give off fruit since we live in a cold climate but he won't give up! Maybe he should give you his plant!

Adam and Aubrey said...

WOW! You are INCREDIBLE! It's so weird to me that you have a garden! Haha! It's so cold over here and I can't even see the ground! haha! I LOVE it!